Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Being Park Jaesang

By the time you're reading this, Psy's music video for his song Daddy (featuring CL of 2NE1) has probably reached a quadrillion views on YouTube.


The video features Psy the kid, Psy the thirty-something old man, and elderly Psy all showing off the skills that they ostensibly got from their daddy. There's also a cameo of Psy the baby early on. The whole creepy/funny adult-face-on-infant head reminded me of the movie Being John Malkovich, hence the title of this post. Check out this scene from the movie.



Alright. So we know Daddy will be hugely viral just like Psy's last two hits (though Napal Baji will probably be a flop). No need to say how awesome it is. To be perfectly honest, I couldn't even finish the whole thing when I first saw it, but it's kind of grown on me now. By the way, would you mind checking YouTube again to see if Daddy gobbled up a million more views while you were busy ogling at John Malkovich's boobs?


I just have one tiny nitpick, and it's not about Psy. It's about the YouTubers who reacted to the video. Why is it that I haven't seen anyone point out the one obvious fact about the song, which is that Daddy's lyrical concept is just the reverse of will.i.am's I Got It From My Momma?




Before anyone accuses me of accusing Psy of copying, I'm quite aware that he and will.i.am collaborated on another song called "ROCKnROLLbaby" in Psy's new album, so I know that it's most likely they worked on Daddy's concept as well. You could almost say that Daddy is a parody of Momma. I'm just baffled that nobody saw the connection (except for a few music blogs, but then you'd expect professional music writers to know).

Oh, and CL was there for a bit. Her talent was a bit wasted here, to be honest. Psy should've chosen a less capable artist to repeat the "Where'd you get your body from?" part. Like seriously, imagine if Ailee got featured in a song just to do a bit of sing-rapping. Ridiculous.

Psy should've gone with Hyuna again.

No comments:

Post a Comment